Table of Contents
Is Discord not updating on PC? Discord is a very popular group-chat application mostly used by people who love to play games, relax, and talk about anything and everything!
All in all, you can use this platform to send videos, pictures, and much more to all the people in your personal “Server”. But what should you do if this amazing app isn’t updating?
Why Is My Discord Not Updating?
There are a number of reasons why your Discord is not updating on PC. The most commons reasons are: Your anti-virus software doesn’t allow discord to update. Second, Discord doesn’t have access to other apps and programs. Third, there is an issue with the discord file, and last you might need to re-install Discord.
No matter if you got Discord from the Play Store, or from the website, there are thousands of people who are in the same situation as you. However, don’t lose hope! There are a few ways you can try to get your Discord app to update.
How to Fix Discord Not Updating?
The main ways of fixing Discord not updating on PC issue are: first by disabling your antivirus software. Second, allow discord administrative-level access to other apps and programs. Third rename the update file, as well as install it to a different folder. Last reinstall Discord.
Disable Anti-Virus Software
One way to make certain that your Discord not updating is solved is to disable your anti-virus software. All in all, it may be labeling your Discord app as a threat to your PC. However, it’s easy to turn off your Anti-Virus software to get your app to update.
- Step 1: Open your Anti-Virus Software.
- Step 2: Disable Protections on your PC.
- Step 3: Save your changes.
- Step 4: Open Discord.
- Step 5: Install the Updates.
- Step 6: Open Anti-Virus, and enable protections after the updates are completed!
If you are running Windows 10 on your PC, then you may need to shut down Windows Defender.
- Step 1: Go to Cortana Search and enter “Settings”.
- Step 2: Select “Update & Security”.
- Step 3: Choose “Windows Security” > “Virus & Threat Protection” > “Manage Settings”.
Changing Real-Time Protection
- Step 4: Turn the toggle “Off” for “Turn On Real-Time Protection”.
- Step 5: Save changes.
- Step 6: Run Discord Updates.
- Step 7: Enable “Turn On Real-Time Protection” Once updates are finished for Discord, as well as save changes.
Overall, whether you’re running Super Anti-Virus, or Windows Defender, an anti-virus can block simple tasks on accident! It’s worth it to try to disable the anti-virus just for a moment in order to fix Discord not updating on PC.
Update as an Administrator
When it comes to running your PC, sometimes you need to give some applications administrator privileges before they can update. Discord not updating may require you to allow it administrative-level access to other apps and programs.
First, you will need to make certain there are not Discord processes running. Open “Task Manager” and disable anything that is connected to Discord. All in all, if there is something running there, turn it off!
Here’s how to Update Discord as an Administrator:
Easy Administrator Allowance
- Step 1: Find the location of the downloaded Discord Update on your PC.
- Step 2: Right-click the file.
- Step 3: Click “Run as Administrator“.
- Step 4: Enter password if prompted, as well as ignore any warning messages that may pop-up.
All in all, it’s super simple to change to an Administrator if Discord not updating on PC is an issue.
Different Folders, or Names
Another way to get Discord to update is to rename the update file, as well as install it to a different folder.
Changing the Folder
- Step 1: Find the Discord folder on your PC.
- Step 2: Move the folder to another location on your hard drive.
- Step 3: Begin the update again, then choose the new location when prompted to choose an install location.
You may also try to rename the update file.
Renaming Update File
- Step 1: Open “File Explorer”.
- Step 2: Type “%LocalAppData%” into the path field.
- Step 3: When the Local subfolder in AppData is opened, find the “Update.exe” file in the Discord folder.
- Step 4: Rename it something else and attempt the install.
If all of the above options fail, you can always reinstall Discord with the newest version.
- Step 1: Back up any files you want to keep related to the Discord app on your PC.
- Step 2: Delete the Discord application from your PC. Don’t forget all of its associated files and folders.
- Step 3: Download Discord from the website to get the latest version.
- Step 4: Go through the installation process.
All in all, no matter if Discord is not updating on PC, you can always delete it and reinstall the latest version!
Easy Fixes for Discord Not Updating on PC!
All things considered, these are all simple, easy fixes to Discord not updating on PC. Whether you reinstall the entire application, or you simply run the update as an administrator, this helpful guide will get your app updated in no time!